Richardville, Snyder turn down new presidential electoral scheme
It looks like someone didn’t get the memo
from Reince Priebus, Republican National Committee chairman.
State Sen. Randy Richardville, a Republican
and Senate majority leader, turned a few heads Tuesday when he said at a press
briefing that he didn't support a state House proposal to reform the state’s
presidential electoral process – by divvying electoral votes by Congressional district,
rather a winner-take-all electoral votes in Michigan.
With last fall’s surprising loss by GOP
contender Mitt Romney to President Barack Obama (including in Michigan), the Michigan
Statehouse is among many Republican-controlled legislatures nationwide giving serious thought to making that change, believing it may give Republicans a
needed edge in the next presidential election. Given shifting demographics and
the lack of a winning message by Republicans, the party believes it has a better
shot of winning elections by picking up electoral votes in Congressional
districts, rather than the winner-take-all approach prevalent in most states.
One can hardly blame Republicans for trying
to shake things up – though the move does seem extreme.
Richardville said as much Tuesday, saying he
didn’t see a need to fix a system that isn’t broken.
Hours later, Gov. Rick Snyder also turned down the
idea of the reform, even though in recent days Snyder said he had been open to
the idea. That means the reform most likely will go nowhere in Michigan, though
we can expect many Republican-controlled states to follow the lead from their
national party leaders.